- I will be pleased to meet with you according to prior appointment, feel free to book online through my calendar if you need support outside of scheduled class hours
Virtual Classroom Etiquette
- Please turn your camera on during group meetings in order to engage in a richer experience (check this article)
- Mute your microphone when you’re not speaking
- Use your actual real name
- Be aware of your surroundings and minimize distractions
- Dress appropriately
- Stay present!
In-Person Classroom Etiquette
- Electronic devices: Cell phones are to be on “silent” mode and put away, laptops and other electronic devices are to be used for class related notes only
- Punctuality: students are expected to arrive promptly for class and after breaks. If you arrive late, please do so with minimum disturbance
- Students who are noisy or disruptive may be asked to move to another desk or to leave the class
- Students are to demonstrate respect for each other and for the professor through their choice of language. Those using inappropriate language will be asked to leave the classroom
Course Website & Online Communication
- It is your responsibility to check Blackboard announcements for regular course updates, and mark your calendar with the due dates & times, whether you use a digital or paper-based calendar
- Students are expected to communicate in a professional, business-like manner in all correspondence, and only those messages written in a professional, business-like manner will be answered by the professor. Please check spelling and grammar before you hit the “Send” button
- Students are to demonstrate respect for each other and for the professor through their choice of language online (discussion, BB chat … etc.)
Marking of Individual & Group Work
- Submission & Marking: Submitted work will be marked only if you follow the instructions regarding the submission method, format, and number of students assigned to work on the exercise. Only names of students who have contributed to the work are to be included when you submit any group work, please be reminded that including names of students who have not contributed to the work is considered Academic Misconduct and will be dealt with accordingly. Individual work and work in pairs will not be marked for group projects
- Deadlines & Late Submissions: Deadlines are meant to keep us all on track. Therefore, late submissions will not be accepted unless a request for an extension has been communicated in advance, at least two days before the deadline, with a proposed submission date and reason for the request. Such requests must be sent through Course Messages (not email as this may end up in the junk folder). If approved, those late submissions will be marked at the end of the semester
- Peer Evaluation for Group Work: The marks for a group project will be assigned to the whole team provided that all team members contribute equally to the project. If a team member feels that another team member is not contributing, he/she should communicate with the professor immediately, before the due date, and a peer evaluation process will be used to assign marks individually based on the level of contribution. View / download the Peer Evaluation forms here (Word doc, PDF)
- Cite your sources: Projects, assignments, and lab exercises will be marked only if properly referenced. It is your responsibility to ensure that sources are properly cited
Missed Test Policy
- Without good reason and proper evidence (e.g. doctor’s letter for a medical reason stating student could not attend class on that specified date), student receives ZERO (0) on any Test/Quiz not written or submitted. With proper evidence and at the discretion of the professor, the student may be allowed to write a make-up test in the Test Centre during the last week of the semester. The make-up test could be comprehensive
- Valid documentation must be submitted within 5 business days of missing the test
Accessible Learning Services
- Students registered with the Accessible Learning Services” are required to provide at least one week notice to the Prof. of any required accommodations.
- Students who are registered with the “Accessible Learning Services” and are eligible to write their exams at the Test Centre as part of their Academic Accommodations are required to schedule and write their exams at the same day and time as their classmates writing in the classroom. This will be strictly enforced to maintain the integrity of all exams.
Consent to use pictures/screenshots from our classes & guest speaker sessions
I will be taking pictures/screenshots of our classes/meetings to share on LinkedIn and Twitter through professional posts to thank guest speakers, promote our class events, or simply share something new we’re doing. I will let the class know beforehand. If you prefer for your name or picture not to appear in any screenshots, please let me know. More on the photo consent form.