Self-directed Group Research Project (25%)
This is a self-directed research project to be completed in groups. Sign-up on BB, individual work or work in pairs will not be marked. The following are examples of topics to explore in further detail:
- Augmented Reality / Virtual Reality in Business (resources)
- Post Pandemic Digital Transformation
- Learning Management Systems: Blackboard Original vs. Ultra
The aim of this self-directed research assignment is to analyze in-depth, the implementation of an Information System to solve an issue within an organization.
You are to research, select, and analyze a problem, an issue, an event, a profession or a business process that has been solved / improved with the aid of information systems. The following are examples of questions you may explore during your research, please note that your research and the nature of your questions will depend on the case.
- How did the information system change the standard operating procedures used in this case (solve the problem / improve the process)?
- Could it have been done using traditional methods?
- How did it affect the structure of the organization?
- Did the power shift within the ranks of the organization / profession?
- Did the job skill-set change?
- What were the security and ethical issues that resulted from the use of the new information system?
Structured as follows:
- Cover page (must include names of team members)
- Introduction: Couple of paragraphs; introduce the topic, specify the objective, set the tone for the paper and create interest
- Executive summary: One page; provide a summary of the actual paper (to be completed at the end)
- Table of contents
- Body of the report (structure might vary depending on the case and issues explored)
- Problem (max 1 page)
- Solution / IS Implementation (max 3 pages)
- Benefits (max 1 page)
- Challenges(max 1 page)
- Conclusion & Recommendation (max 1 page)
- Optional: Concept Map; diagram showing the key course concepts covered in your project, and the connections between these concepts (1 page)
- Appendix, with a detailed WBS (Work Breakdown Structure) indicating tasks assigned to team members, roles and responsibilities
- Format: (Arial font, size 12 pt, 1.5 spacing)
- Footer: includes page numbers
You are required to record your presentation, and submit the link to the recording through BB, please note the following:
- Start with team introductions (make sure cameras are on everyone)
- Introduce your topic and agenda
- Start sharing your slides and start presenting your topic
- Ensure smooth transitions between team members
- End with conclusions and/or recommendations
- Each team member must have a role in the presentation (by presenting their part)
- Total length of presentation: 10 minutes
- Report: PDF through BB
- Presentation recording: link through BB